Though extensively rebuilt during 1849 the Church of St Paul was originally constructed in the medieval period and may stand on the site of an older timber church.
During the days following the Battle of Flodden it served first as a temporary mortuary and then as the site of the burial of some of the casualties.
The Chancel arch is the earliest surviving element of the church dating to the 12th Century, though even this seems to have been modified or reconstructed during the 13th Century.
12th AND 13th CENTURY ARCH
The Chancel arch - reworked in the 13th Century - is the oldest and most original feature and contains elements of an earlier 12th Century arch.
THE BATTLEFIELD TRAIL
Walk along the road, to the west of the village, to the battlefield car park and join the battlefield trail at the monument on Piper’s Hill.
BRANXTON CHURCH AND BATTLEFIELD GUIDE
A good guide to the events of the Battle of Flodden is sold in the church and can be purchased for £1.50.
Located in the verge of the road, leaving Branxton to the north, this well was one of the settings for Sir Walter Scott’s epic poem about the Battle of Flodden: ‘Marmion’.