Edinburgh has many links with Flodden and the when on 18 August, five cannon were brought down from Edinburgh Castle to the Netherbow Gate at St Mary's Wynd dragged by long teams of oxen the inhabitants of the capital knew that the invasion of England was underway.
.The Flodden Wall is the remains of a town wall that was built around the southern extent of the late medieval old town, enclosing the medieval Grassmarket, the religious houses of Greyfriars and Blackfriars and the later 15th Century houses built up along the Cowgate, outside the earlier town walls. Although this wall is thought to have existed from perhaps as much as 70 years before the Battle of Flodden, it was significantly repaired and re-fortified after September 1513.
Today the remains of this ad hoc defence can be seen in Greyfriars church yard and at other locations in the ‘old town’ of Edinburgh.
The Bore Stane stands on a pedestal built into the boundary wall of Morningside Parish Church fronting onto Morningside Road Edinburgh. The stone measures about 1.30 metres high x 0.60 metres wide and varies in thickness between 200 and 250 mm with the surface badly weathered.
The stone is traditionally associated with the mustering of the Scottish Army by James IV on the Borough Muir and as the site of the raising of the Royal Banner / Blue Blanket on the 17th August 1513. The Bore Stane has been moved at least twice with tradition stating that it originally stood in a field adjacent to its current location.
The stone was erected in its current position by Sir John Stuart Forbes of Pitsligo in 1852.
The information plaque mounted below the stone reads:
'In which the Royal Standard was last pitched for the muster of the Scottish army on the Borough Muir before the Battle of Flodden,1513.'
It long lay in the adjoining field, was then built into the wall near this spot and finally placed here by Sir John Stuart Forbes of Pitsligo, 1852.
Highest and midmost was desiret,
The Royal Banner floating wide,
The staff a pine tree strong and straight,
Pitch'd deeply in a massive stone,
Which still in memory is shown,
Yet bent beneath the Standards weight
Marmion, Sir Walter Scott
Boroughmuir is now known as the Meadows and is a popular green space with local residents and visitors to Edinburgh.